Practice Areas

I am Jean W. Wise, Attorney at Law, handle all aspects of family law, including divorce and legal issues involving the care and custody of children. I am a compassionate, tough-minded attorney who has served clients in the Johnson County area since 1992, emphasizing mediation and negotiation in the best interests of my client and all parties. If you live outside the Johnson County, Kansas, area and have divorce or family law matters in Johnson County, I can often handle your case by phone at (913) 709-4458 and e-mail, alleviating your need to travel here.



I encourage divorcing couples to resolve issues of property, custody, and financial support in a cost-effective way that avoids litigation and reduces the need to revisit issues later. I work hard to ensure that my client is treated fairly in the settlement, and I am tough in defense of clients if I have to go to court.


As an experienced mediator, I can bring parties to mutual agreements that will satisfy the court and reduce legal costs. I also practice collaborative law, in which each party retains counsel and agrees not to litigate.

Custody and Parenting Time

Child custody and parenting time are emotional and ongoing issues. I work for divorcing parents, unmarried parents, both custodial and non-custodial, to ensure that a custody agreement or court-ordered access is fair to my clients and in the best interests of the children.

Child Support and Maintenance

I ensure that the court has accurate information to determine child support and/or maintenance (alimony), and handle modifications or enforcement issues relating to court-ordered child support or spousal support for a child or ex-spouse.


My firm helps clients seek changes in custody, visitation, child support, or maintenance, including move-away cases in which the custodial parent wants to relocate out of state with the children.

Grandparents’ Rights

Grandparents in Kansas have legal rights to a continuing relationship with their grandchildren, even after a divorce or death of a parent. I represent clients seeking access to their grandchildren when they have been denied ongoing contact with them, as well as parents being sued by grandparents.


I represent grandparents and other family members seeking court appointment as the legal guardian of a child or impaired adult.


I happily represent stepparents wanting to adopt their step-children, or third parties seeking adoption.


Many of my clients are unmarried parents, including mothers seeking to determine fatherhood in order to collect child support and fathers seeking parenting time and joint custody.

Contact a Kansas divorce attorney who provides compassionate, diligent, and tough-minded legal counsel for any family law issue. Call (913) 709-4458 or email me to discuss your case. I can meet clients on evenings or weekends by appointment at my comfortable office near College and Roe in Leawood. I accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.