Child Support Modifications & Adjustment For Income Changes

“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past
or present are certain to miss the future.”
John F. Kennedy

In spite of a couple’s best-laid parenting plans in divorce, something unexpected can occur that changes everything. That “something unexpected” can be any number of life-altering circumstances and when those changes affect one spouse’s ability to follow the plan, modifications and adjustments will need to be petitioned for.

The State of Kansas does allow for modifications and adjustments in child support as long as there is a “substantial change” in circumstances. If you or your ex-spouse have experienced an unexpected change and you believe child support modification is appropriate, here are a few questions you may ask yourself to know whether the state of Kansas would consider your situation a substantial change:

  • Was there a significant decrease in pay?
  • Am I now completely unemployed?
  • Was there a significant income increase?
  • Have the courts already agreed to specific custody changes?
  • How old is our child now? Is he or she now 6 or 12?
  • Is our child now 18 and graduated from high school?

Sometimes temporary adjustment or modification is needed for the benefit of a child who is in need of additional financial support or due to the temporary condition of the payer.  Here are some questions you can ask to see if your situation warrants temporary modification:

  • Does your child have a medical emergency?
  • Do you have a medical emergency?
  • Does your ex-spouse have a medical emergency?
  • Do you have any other financial hardship that is causing a temporary inability to pay support?

If your ex-spouse (the recipient of child support) has recently remarried, you may be eligible to terminate spousal support, but child support will likely not be adjusted on those grounds.

Counsel For Your Child Support Modification and Adjustments For Income

For more than 22 years Jean Wise has helped many clients through the many difficult challenges that follow after divorce, including child custody issues.  One of the benefits of enlisting the advocacy of Jean Wise is she is dedicated to helping her clients pursue their interests. You’ll find her counsel to be proficient, stress-free, and affordable.

Call (913) 345-9473 or email Jean Wise anytime to arrange your consultation.