If you are getting divorced, or separating from the other parent of your child, it is important to have qualified legal counsel to ensure that court-ordered child support and/or maintenance (spousal support) is fair. Discuss your case with Jean W. Wise, Attorney at Law, to have a compassionate and tough-minded legal advocate to protect your rights.

I represent both mothers and fathers in the Johnson County, Kansas courts. As a family lawyer since 1992, I can handle complex issues regarding child support, spousal maintenance, and child custody.


Kansas Child Support Law

Child support is determined by state guidelines, on income, parenting time, special needs, and other factors. In Kansas, child support increases at age 6 and again at age 12 to reflect greater financial needs in providing for a child. Support terminates when the child graduates from high school (not necessarily at age 18). Child support may be increased or decreased by modification in court if there is a substantial change in circumstances, such as loss of a job, change of income, daycare, or health insurance costs.


Child Support Enforcement

I represent clients who are unable to meet their child support obligations, as well as clients seeking legal action to collect past due child support. Kansas courts generally order child support to be withheld through wage garnishment.


Spousal Maintenance

Maintenance or spousal support, formerly called alimony, is frequently awarded in Kansas divorce cases. It is granted at the discretion of the court, and the amount is determined by local guidelines, based on income differential, need, earning potential, length of the marriage, and other factors.Under the Johnson County Bench/Bar Guidelines, maintenance is generally calculated as 20% of the difference in the parties’ gross month incomes. The duration of maintenance is generally one-third of the length of the marriage, with a maximum maintenance duration of 121 months under Kansas law.

Protect your rights. Call (913) 709-4458 or email me to discuss your legal dispute. I can meet clients evenings and weekends by appointment, and my firm accepts most major credit cards.